Planning your organic growing plot
Successful organic growing is all about good planning. This half day course is perfect for gaining an understanding of how to plan out a growing space for an allotment or garden using organic principles. You will learn how to plan your plot organically, with a focus on crop rotation, preventing pests and diseases, maximising harvests and planning for the year ahead.
To help visualise how to turn your plan into reality, our course leader will use the demonstration gardens here at Ryton Organic Gardens. By the end of the session you will have the confidence to develop your own cropping plan.
We will strive to provide you with relevant information to help you plan your own plot, although due to time constraints it won’t be possible to design a detailed cropping plan* for every individual in the group. Please read the ‘What do you need to bring’ section to help us plan as best we can for the day.
What you will learn
- Gain an overview of the organic principles;
- How to assess your growing space;
- Plan the best times of year for various gardening activities;
- Gain the skills to create your own cropping plan;
- How to design a rotation.
Course level Intermediate
What you need to bring
- *Please send a photo of your current/proposed growing space with a brief description of what it is you want to achieve from the course as soon as you book your place. This will help us to tailor the course to people’s needs.
- Bring a sample of your soil from the growing space to analyse for texture.
- Suitable outdoor clothing and footwear
This course is not suitable for children under the age of 16. Details of this course are subject to change.